Every woman wants to be considered to be beautiful. And since so much of this perception is based on their outward appearance, having a clear skin is a priority. While you could spend money on chemical peels, plastic surgery or various skincare products, eating your way to a better complexion is a much safer way to improve your skin.
It is amazing that diet can play such an important part in not only your physical health but also in how you look. If you have a tendency to eat the typical Standard American Diet (SAD) full of processed foods, too many sweets and too many fats, it will show up in the way your complexion looks. Changing your diet to include fresh and raw foods with specific vitamins and minerals can greatly improve the condition of your skin.
These nutrient-dense foods are perfect if you want to improve your complexion:
- Red and purple fruits and vegetables contain anthocyanins which are important antioxidants. They are found in fruits such as cherries, blueberries and blood oranges. You can also find them in red cabbage. Anthocyanins are necessary to maintain healthy blood flow to the skin and protect it against ultraviolet (UV) damage.
- Whole grain foods help balance insulin and blood sugar. These foods include whole wheat and brown rice and are important because clinical studies have indicated too much sugar in your system can increase acne. Having excess sugar in your system can also cause collagen not to form properly. Why is collagen important? It works along with keratin to increase the skin’s strength, flexibility and resilience which means it keeps your skin youthful and healthy.
- Tomatoes are another food you’ll want to add to your diet. Eating them fresh is best because there are more nutrients, but you can get some benefit eating them cooked. The nutrient that’s important in tomatoes is lycopene. This is another antioxidant and having enough of this in your system will help reduce the hormones which lead to acne. They have also been found to lead to smoother skin in some studies.
- Green tea has many healthful benefits. One of them is that it can lower the production of the hormone DHT which causes acne.
- Omega-3 fatty acids found in fish is believed to reduce the chemicals which produce sebum or oily skin.
- Vitamin C-rich fruits such as lemon and kiwi – both higher in vitamin C than oranges – are believed to help reduce wrinkles. These fruits also help detoxify the system which can lead to a clearer complexion.
- Water may not seem like it’s important to healthy skin but it is. In fact, if you’re not staying hydrated your skin can look dull and listless.
If you’re hoping to improve your skin, try eating your way to a better complexion. A high-fiber diet is important for adults with acne. You’ll also want to include lean meat, whole grains, seafood and fish. All of these can help improve acne. You may also notice an improvement in your complexion if you avoid high-sugar foods and beverages.