Skin-smoothing or exfoliating body scrubs can sure be expensive, and there are concerns that they contain harmful chemicals such as dyes, colors and fragrances. Why not make your own? They may be a lot healthier, and they’re certainly cheaper. Here are some recipes for skin-smoothing body scrubs.
1 – From the Ground Up
Coffee grounds have a reputation for smoothing out cellulite-ridden areas of the skin. Their texture is also good for exfoliating, and you can’t beat the wonderful smell.
- 1 cup coffee grounds (don’t get decaffeinated – it’s said that the caffeine helps the cellulite)
- 1/4 cup sea salt
- 1/2 tablespoon sweet almond oil
Simply mix these ingredients together. You can double the recipe if you like. Apply to damp skin with a circular motion, and rinse.
2 – Chocolate-y Salt Scrub
Coarse kosher salt makes this a skin-smoothing scrub that gives skin a nice glow. The cocoa is supposed to have a smoothing action similar to the coffee grounds.
- 2 cups kosher salt
- 1/2 cup oil, such as sweet almond or jojoba
- 1/4 cup apricot kernel oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Combine all ingredients and apply to damp skin with a circular, massaging motion and rinse.
3 – Sugar Scrub with Yogurt
Yogurt and milk have been known for centuries to be good for the skin. Here is a recipe for a sugar scrub with yogurt.
- 1 cup coarse sugar, such as turbinado sugar
- 2 tablespoons sweet almond oil
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- 3-4 drops essential oil of your choice (optional)
In an electric mixer, beat all the ingredients well until they are smooth and creamy. Apply as above.